Monday, November 29, 2010

Leftovers :)

Ya for another post! Horay!
Last time I said something about cornbread. That I had never made it from scratch. Well, my wonderful cousin Jodi corrected me. She gave me the recipe and I made it and it was delicious and it was easy.
1 cup flour 1 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup of sugar more if you want it sweeter
1 tsp salt
1 egg
1 cup milk
4 tsp baking powder
Mix the dry ingredients first. Cook it at 425 until it is done.


Now for Thanksgiving things. I have never cooked a Thanksgiving meal before this year. I have to say, I think I did a pretty wonderful job. I cooked a 10 pound turkey. Yes, a whole turkey, not turkey meat from the store that's already made. I actually took a frozen turkey, took out the what-what and baked it. Lemme tell ya how :)

What you need:
a turkey
some apple juice
an injected
an oven bag
an oven

I took the apple juice and injected the meat with it. Then I poured and rubbed some on the outside and under the skin. Then I just followed the directions on the oven bag. It was pretty easy. I also made a very unique gravy type thing. It ended up being more of a sauce than a gravy but it complimented the turkey very well.

What you need:
2 large, ripe tomatoes
1 cup apple juice
2 medium sweet apples (peeled and cored)
olive oil
honey (to taste)
Worcestershire sauce (to taste)

Cut up and then puree the tomatoes and apples until very very smooth. Heat up in a sauce pan with your apple juice, olive oil, honey, and worcestershire sauce. You might want to add a little bit of salt but I wouldn't put much. Once it's nice and warm, turn it down to simmer and let it cook until nice and thick. I had to keep adding honey and apple juice because I didn't think it was sweet enough yet so you might want to taste it often and add things until it's just right for you.

I also made a veggie thingy ma-jig that was pretty tasty and extremely easy to make. I'm sure it would be more tasty with fresh veggies but canned is just plain cheaper this time of year.

1 can corn
1 can string beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can green beans

Just put them all in a pot and add a little rosemary and thyme. There's already plenty of salt in the cans, so don't add any.

The rest of the dinner was from other people bringing food. We had sweet potato pie, green spaghetti, mashed potatoes, rolls, and cranberry sauce. There were plenty of leftovers. This was for the ASL class I teach. For my family Thanksgivings, I didn't cook nearly as much. Actually, I didn't cook at all. For my step mom's family, I forgot to bring something but everything else was delicious. For my dad's family, I made salad (lettuce, cheese, and croutons). For my husband's family, we went to Luby's. I did take leftovers from my family Thanksgivings so my fridge is full of food. Not healthy food, like the kind this site is dedicated to, but food. Starting later this week, we'll get back to the recipes I normally make :)

No comments:

Post a Comment